Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Arctic Animals Day 2!

Day 2... We survived! Or should I say we made it! Magnus and I woke up LATE... I mean we slept til 7:55 and my first kiddo arrives around 8! Goodness, I barely had my brain turned on today! Thankfully I did because we had a fantastic morning! Today, since I had 14 month old, a 2 year old and my 22 month old I wanted to adapt my activities for everyone! Its so easy to adapt activities to include all the children. The first activity we did and we did it while Baby M was sleeping because it involved ice but we did an Arctic Sensory Box! I had popped over to Hobby Lobby on Saturday and using a 40% off coupon I picked up a container of Arctic animals, Eskimos and an igloo for only $5.50! Woot woot go me! Anyway, I had a bag of ice left over from a recent party and I poured that into the sensory box and dumped the animals in! THEY LOVED IT! I would say easily this activity lasted 45-60 mins off and on of course! I showed them how to tell a story with the characters by sort of acting one out, how the Eskimos would live in the igloo and we talked about how COLD the ice was. I think if I had used cotton balls which I will probably do tomorrow it would have lasted longer but alas they still had a blast! Ps the photo of Magnus holding up the cariboo he goes "Ho Ho's dog!" BAHAHAHAHAHAH so funny to me. He calls Santa Ho-Ho's and I will be sad when he stops doing that! 

 The second activity we did is my favorite form of paint ever! Its so easy! I used a ketchup bottle today that I picked up at the dollar store to use as our "brush". I found a snowflake template online that I will link to again when I can find it. We call this "Puffy Paint", basically its 2 parts shaving cream, one part glue, and a quarter size of paint. You can use any container you can think of I have even used bowls and spoons before to paint with it. I loved using the ketchup bottle today, one it was mess free and two EVERYONE even Baby M got to do it! I put in the shaving cream, then the glue and kept tapping the bottle on the counter then I added the paint and stirred with a an old tooth brush. I did not ask for any tot help as they were still playing with the ice box and I did not want to interrupt their fleeting moments of positive interactive play! We LOVE this paint because it dries fluffy, it feels awesome! I mean I LOVE IT and I am 28 years old. We used blue paint of course to stick with our color theme of the week and talked repeatedly that we were painting with BLUE and that the shape we were painting was a snowflake and that lots of snow makes ice! Puffy paint is diverse in my life because I can have the older kids help make the paint, everyone can squeeze it out and everyone loves the final result. Tater and I worked on following the lines of the snowflake this is great way to start working on tracing for letter writing! Ps Tater is my almost 3 year old little cousin - he and Magnus are second cousins (even though I HATE that phrase because cousins are cousins are cousins)!

I also embarked on making homemade bread but more about that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment